Tuesday, February 10, 2009

What do you think?

The news about the Octuplets being born was quite the shock, and it's amazing to see them doing as well as they are. Each and everyone of their lives is precious and a gift from our Heavenly Father. There is no doubt about that at all in my mind, there never will be.
But the big controversy surrounds the mother who gave birth to them, and the doctors who implanted the embryos into her.
I know the desire, that burning desire that filled me with wanting to have children. I know the pain it caused me when I was unable to bring children into this world. I cried and prayed, and worked, and labored for many years to bring my babies to our family. I know that overwhelming love and joy that you feel when children bless your family.
But 14? And she's a single mother? With no income? In a small house? The news now says that she is/was receiving Government assistance to get by before the octuplets were even born. Where was she even finding the money to pay for infertility treatments while she was on disability, and receiving Food Stamps and such?
Who is the doctor that is knowingly implanting this woman with embryos, especially this many when she already has so many children? Is this a negligent act? I kind of think so.
I think about when we first delved into the world of infertility, and how expensive everything was. I mean I was working as a nurse, and Ryan as a Manager, and we really didn't even think we could afford it. But I remember how desperately I still wanted children. Being "poor" doesn't mean that you shouldn't be able to have kids, but where do you draw the line? How far is a person allowed to go just to satisfy their want for more children?
Anywho, my thoughts are obviously jumbled all over the board on this current events issue. What do you think?

6 comments:

val m said...

I'm not quite sure how I feel(actually I do - but better keep it to myself!), but I do know that invitro is $15,000 min. So if you found out where she went that she could do it cheap, let me know!!! Don't worry - I won't let them implant 8!!!

Kasey said...

I understand why people are upset. It's there tax dollars going to a selfish want or need per the Mother. I'm questioning the doctors ethics. I think she has a few screws lose if she as a single Mother can handle all those kids by herself. On the other hand, they are all Children of God and we should just love them and be thankful it's not us and that she's not in our ward!!! Could you imagine all the babysitting we would do!!!!! I kid.

Lindsey said...

Haha Kase. Yes, that would be alot of babysitting.

I feel much the same way Katie. It seems like this woman is having children to satisfy her own insecurities about her own childhood. I do think the doctor who implanted the embryos should have his license taken away.

Sometimes I wish some people did not have agency :)...but alas, that was not the plan.

Clenece said...

I Have LOTS of mixed feelings about this story. I do though feel bad for all the negative attention that she is receiving. Yes, I think she is off in her thinking, but I still feel bad that during such a miserable time already she is having to deal with so much negative MEDIA! I just pray she will stay strong and get smarter from here on out! I could talk about this for hours....

Weston and William's Blog said...

I'm not sure what my opinion is... but I figure, all in all. it doesn't matter anyways ;) Bt I miss blogging too. My parent's computer is miserably slow- too slow to load blogs, etc. I will be home though Monday or Tuesday, so I will update then. Miss you!!!

Sonja said...

Oh, it's been such a hard thing to see this happen. All I can say is I sure hope they can put a law for how many eggs they can implant in a woman and I pray that she will learn from her choices. Do you think she'll put them up for adoption? I have no clue how she will care for all of these children. My heart aches for these little 8 babies who have no father.