Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Instant Gratification

I've been thinking a lot about patience lately.  I've been studying that topic with my scripture study.  I recently read the talk Continue in Patience, by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf.  I expect my kids to be patient and not melt down when they have to wait for the simplest thing.  But how do I do?
I want what I want, when I want it.  I noticed after reading this talk, I do NOT like to wait in line.  Why can't the store open another register?  Why can't that rude person realize I only have 4 things and I'm in a hurry...they should just let me go before them?  (Gee Katie, did you think that they might also be in a hurry?)And so on, and so on.  Now you don't even have to wait for a person to check your groceries, if there's an open line, you can self-check. 
Then let's talk about TV.  I want to watch what I want when I want to.  I don't want commercials to slow down the program.  It's nice to have DVR, it makes it so I can watch things when I have time to, and I can save time by being able to bypass commercials.  But remember when we were little (okay when I was little), cartoons came on once a week, and it was a special treat to be able to watch them.  Now, they're available 24/7.
Look at the country and the economic crisis going on.  People want now what their parents had to work for years to earn.
 Food- fast food, or even the microwave for that matter. 
There are so many conveniences that it seems we're taught from the time we're little we can have whatever we want whenever we want. 
I have had many experiences with my health that have been given to me to learn patience.  I know there are many ways and many trials that each of us face each day that teach us patience.  I know I must learn to wait, and I need to teach my children to wait.  Waiting helps to build character, and molds us into the person our Heavenly Father knows we can become. 
Some favorite quotes from this talk are :
"Nevertheless, without patience, we cannot please God, we cannot become perfect.  Indeed, patience is a purifying process that refines understanding, deepens happiness, focuses action, and offers hope for peace."
"Patience is a godly attribute that can heal souls, unlock treasures of knowledge and understanding, and transform ordinary men and women into saints and angels.  Patience is truly a fruit of the spirit."
"Patience is a process of perfection...Or to use another translation of the Greek text, in your patience you win mastery of your souls (Luke 21:19 footnote b).  Patience, means to abide in faith, knowing that sometimes it is in the waiting rather than in the receiving that we grow the most."
Patience is one of those attributes that I feel like I need to learn over and over again.  Everyday I seem to fall short of where I should be.  Because of a loving Savior I can repent, and try to learn from my shortcomings, and grow into the person I want to become. 
I'm not exactly sure where this came from, or why it came out of me, but I have had it on my mind.  How do I teach my children to be patient in a world when so many things that could gratify them immediately.  And trust me, it's not like I buy them everything they ask for, yet they still have plenty. 
Hmmm, will I hit the "Publish Post" button?  Or will this be one of those posts that sits patiently waiting in my outbox waiting to see what the future holds?

2 comments:

Angella and Eric said...

I came out here the other night in a mood and after reading this comment I just went to bed because I whole-heartedly agree with everything you said here and it just made me a little overwhelmed. Patience is something I'm going to have a hard time passing on because I so lack it!

val m said...

I sooooo want patience!! I am learning that it is something we can improve in, but I think it will always be something we are working on! I lose my patience way to often and I need to get it under control!!! And I mean NOW!!!