Wednesday, August 4, 2010

June 24th, 2010

I play soccer with two different leagues, one Women's the other Coed.  Ryan plays on the coed team with me.  On this particular night, which also happened to be the last night of the season, I collided hard with a guy on the other team.  I have no memory of it whatsoever.  I "woke up" in the ER.  I heard that I was running full speed up the field, and that the other player was running full speed across the field.  Apparently we both reached the same spot at the same time.  I was knocked unconscious immediately before I hit the ground.  They say that the hit sounded like bones were breaking.  I guess I was only unconscious for about a minute, but when I woke up...the lights were on, but nobody was home.  The kids say I knew who they were, but I kept asking who all these people were, and what were we doing.  This happened at the beginning of the 2nd quarter.  When I was still mentally absent at half time they went and got the cart to take me to the gate near our house.  Ryan then helped me to our car.  We were using a friend's car while she was borrowing ours, and when I saw it I asked who's car was at our house.  (I had been driving this vehicle for 2 days prior to the injury).  Ryan got me to the ER, the first memory I have is asking him if I cried?  He told me no.  THANK HEAVENS for THAT! :)  I have spotty memories from that point.  I do remember asking Ryan if he had given me a blessing yet.  He said that he hadn't yet, but that we could do it then while we were waiting for the CT Scan.  Memories started sticking after that.  Ryan said before I was really with it that the nurses kept asking if I had pain.  I kept saying "YES, my leg is killing me!"  I had been kneed in the right thigh, I still have a deep bruise in it to this day.  The nurses kept saying, but how does your head feel?"
My head felt like I'd been hit by a Mac Truck.  What a head ache!  When I finally came around my head was killing me.  I was dizzy and was still having trouble remembering things.  I was sick to my stomach and I couldn't taste most flavors.  It was crazy.  For the next week all I wanted to eat was soft serve ice cream. 
My body was sore.  My neck hurt from the get go, I wore a hat and would use the brim to help pull my head up when I was laying down.  I am know doing Physical Therapy to help strengthen my neck, and I am mostly back to normal.  What an experience. 
Well, time to stop being a wimp, soccer season starts soon.  :) 
And nope I have no idea what happened to the other guys.  I think he walked away without any injuries.  I wonder if he was even sore. 

3 comments:

Steven said...

ok, you've definitely helped me make up my mind... after spraining my ankle playing indoor soccer and this horrific story, I'm not returning for another season. No way, forget it!!!!

val m said...

Ouch!!! I am sorry that you got hurt!! I wouldn't want your "horse" brain to not work anymore! LOL

Mariann said...

KAtie...I feel absolutely horrible that I haven't checked in with your family for a month and a half!!!! I am so sorry...I hope that you are feeling better! What a hit...are there still spots in your memory that cannot be filled? I hope that the kids are not traumitized through this either! What a scary story. I am sorry! I am glad that you are feeling better and that you are not a whimp! :) You a whimp? NEVER!!!! Love ya! Mariann D.