Does anyone have any advice for me? I have some towels that must have sat wet for too long. They have a very faint mildew smell. People who know me well, know that I am very smell oriented. I hate the smell of mildew. I have tried bleach to kill the smell, Febreeze for laundry, (I think that made it worse), and vinegar to try to kill the smell. Nothing seems to help. I have already cut up one of the towels to see if I can stomach using it as a rag, but if the towels smell don't change soon, they will be going in the trash. There's not a lot worse than getting out of the shower, and wiping off your face in a stinky towel. Nasty!
Do you have any ideas I can try to salvage these towels? I hate to waste, and I could spend $ on a lot better things than towels right now. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
7 comments:
I don't have any, but I am excited to hear what others tips are! Sorry I am no help today!
Have you tried soaking them in OxiClean? It says only a few hours, but I do it longer... even overnight. Only the same colors.
Remember when we went peach picking and Lainey wore a white shirt with a graphic design and she got peach juice all over it? Yeah, I washed that shirt over and over. I even dried it a few times. Like a year later, I finally bought some oxiclean and soaked it. The stains came out!
Carrie, I just put them in OxyClean. I'll soak them tonight and tomorrow to see if it helps. I hadn't even thought about trying that. I'll keep you updated on how it turns out. Thanks, KT
I've had a lot of success on Livvy's clothes with OxyClean as well.
Oh, the memories of the peach picking experience. That was great messy fun!
i also have some rags that smell like mildew. I just figure they have to be thrown out. Sorry I don't know of anything for sure. I do like BIZ but don't know it that would work.
During the rinse cycle add baking soda to the load that is supposed to help. I haven't tried it before but it would be a cheap solution. I also use arm and hammer laundry soap and that has helped my towels not smell so musty.
How have things worked out? I also HATE that smell- and I hate to admit it, but I usually end up throwing them out... I think the smell is pretty permanent :(
Let me know how the Oxy Clean worked!
So tomorrow will be the test. I soaked the towels in OxyClean for 24+ hours, then did a rinse and spin cycle, then a full cycle with a different brand detergent. When they came out of the dryer today, I washed my face, and put it into the towel and breathed deeply. I could only smell the detergent. Tomorrow I'll try a different towel and let you know how it smells. This could be good, Carrie.
Post a Comment