Thursday, January 15, 2009

Fire Department, How may I help you?

I went shopping today. When I returned home, there was an odd alarm going off in my house. It was the Carbon Monoxide Monitor. There were 2 of them going off. The dog was still alive, but going nuts in her kennel. I let her out and then called Ryan. I tried to reset the alarms, they went off and then about 2 minutes later they started chirruping again. I fixed Livvy a quick sandwich, and then loaded her back into the car for safety. Then I called the non-emergent number for the fire department and gave them the scoop to get their opinion. They felt like they should send a truck to test the house. So I started calling neighbors to see if Livvy could stay with them until I knew if the house was safe or not. Every one's kids were sick that lived real close by, but better a cold than the alternative.
As I was leaving from dropping Livs off at the neighbors, the dispatcher called again and said that the truck had to go check out a house fire and would be about 10 minutes out. She made sure to ask again if anyone had any symptoms. I was very impressed with their help.
When the firemen came they were great and checked everything out to make sure we didn't have a leak anywhere. They even asked for a paper towel to clean up the snow that had been tracked in from their boots.
All is well, they couldn't find a leak, and all the levels were normal. What we concluded was that because I started the car, chased Livvy down the driveway, buckled her up, and then ran back in the house to grab something I forgot, that the wind was blowing just right and caused fumes to be pulled into the house triggering the alarm. It still doesn't make sense as to why the alarms kept going off after I reset them, but they also said that the alarms should be replaced every 5 to 10 years, and ours are 8 years old, so it would be a good idea to replace them.
I'm really glad that everything was okay, and that we have heat in this frigid weather. And most well maybe most of all, I'm really glad it wasn't poison control I had to call.
( I thought about taking a picture, but it just wasn't the best time):)

5 comments:

Kasey said...

I'm glad that everything turned out okay. We just had a pipe burst downstairs. Flooded again. This time on the other side by the laundry and we were able to shut everything off and suck up the water. Plumber can't come until tomorrow.

Lindsey said...

Wow...what a day! Glad everything was okay.

Clenece said...

Crazy! Glad that everything turned out okay!

Stacy said...

Someday I will have to tell you about a 2am call to the fire department about my fire alarms going off.... I didn't want to be the dumb lady who died in her house as the fire alarms went off, only because she couldn't see any fire.:)I'm glad that it all worked out in the end.Stacy

David said...

That is quite the experience! Great that everything is OK and it wasn't expensive!