Friday, November 14, 2008

Allergy Testing




Yesterday Luke went to the Allergist to be tested for allergies. He has been on Zyrtec since before he was 2. Whenever I've taken him off of it, he's always had really bad problems with his allergies, so we figured there was probably something going on with this. Especially because when he had his x-rays done on his adenoids they came back normal. So his ENT thought it was allergies that were the problem. (This is after of course she said she was sure it was adenoids and allergies that were the problem and prepped me to thinking that he would be going into surgery).
Well, they did the 20 point scratch test on Luke's back yesterday, and nothing. NOTHING, no reaction whatsoever. I was so surprised. The doctor then told me that even though he didn't react to those, that it didn't mean he didn't have allergies, and they wanted to test him by injecting just a little serum stuff just under his skin. Luke was very upset about that. They tested him for 2 things that way, dust mites and dog. After a minute or so, the doctor came back in to tell us about Nasonex, and he said, "Oh, he's already positive for dogs." Luke had a pretty definite reaction to dogs. We didn't test him for cats, which is because he has so little exposure to cats.
The reason why I mention that, is because we've had times when we haven't had a dog, and he's still had bad allergies. At one of those times, we did have a cat, so maybe that's why he was still having problems. I don't know. I do know that I feel bad, that our choice, parent's and child's choice was to have a dog. Luke loves dogs. He is very sad when we don't have a dog, but I think we are becoming a dog free family. We were told ways to help a person with allergies when there is a family dog, like no pets in the bedroom, (check, the dog's never been allowed upstairs), a new pillow every year encased in a allergy pillow cover, sheets washed once a week in hot water, clothes folded upstairs where dog isn't allowed, all carpet ripped up and hardwood throughout, (can we get a prescription for that?), and some other things. Whenever he's sat where the dog's been he would be considered contaminated.
We've been preparing for this, but I guess we need to decide soon what we do with our Cali. She is a really good dog. This is where we start looking for a good home for a Corgi. Anyone want a well behaved, trained dog? She's 3 years old, great with kids, mellow, loves to play, and loves to snuggle at your feet.
After we treat this, then we see the ENT again if there are any further question about the adenoids. Hopefully this treatment will take care of his symptoms. They aren't going to start the shots, they've started him on Nasonex, and we follow up in a month.

By the way, he was negative for dust mites.

2 comments:

Clenece said...

Poor kid! That is going to be rough having to give the dog away! Best of luck, and I am glad you are starting to get some answers!

Staten's said...

I am sorry you guys have to get rid of your dog, but am glad that you figured out the problem. Hope all goes well.